OASW Pre-Budget Submission to Ontario Government
In preparation for the 2020 Budget, the Government of Ontario invites submissions from individuals and organizations to provide input on spending for the year. OASW is proud to share our Pre-Budget Submission grounded in making life more affordable, healthier and safer for Ontarians.
For the 2020 Budget, OASW recommends that government:
1) Immediately increase rates of social assistance to more accurately reflect the cost of living.
2) Maintain the current definition of disability under ODSP.
3) Establish a Social Assistance Research Commission.
4) Provide dedicated funding to permanently place social workers in Emergency Departments across Ontario.
5) Improve and expedite care for Ontarians who have been in motor vehicle accidents.
On January 31, OASW was invited to present these recommendations to the Honourable Rod Phillips, Minister of Finance, the Honourable Raymond Cho, Minister for Seniors and Accessibility and MPP Babikian in Scarborough. We will continue to advance these recommendations and others, in ongoing meetings with government officials.
OASW is the voice of social work in Ontario. It is a voluntary, bilingual, non-profit association representing approximately 6000 social workers. All members have a university degree in social work at the bachelor, master or doctoral level. OASW works to actively speak on behalf of social workers on issues of interest to the profession and advocates for the improvement of social policies and programs directly affecting social work practice and client groups served.