Get Career Support
Whether you are ready to start your Social Work career or hope to find a summer job in the field:
Post your résumé on our job search website www.SocialWorkJobs.ca allowing potential employers to see your résumé with just one simple click.
Download a free copy of our job search guide that includes tips and advice on conducting a Social Work Job Search.
Access one-on-one assistance and be matched with an experienced Social Worker by joining our free Job Search Initiative - have your résumé tailored to Social Work employers & understand the Social Work job sector of your interest.
Services relevant to students:
- Members-only job posting site Social Work Jobs.
- Get help preparing your résumé & covering letter through the Job Search Initiative.
- Tips and Advice on Conducting a Social Work Job Search (Free Download).
- Access to up-to-date information about social work practice.
- Networking opportunities at OASW Provincial & Branch activities/events.
- Collective advocacy to benefit society and positively impact social work practice.
- Discounts on products and services.
Participate in activities with an OASW Branch:
Position of Student Director on OASW Provincial Board
Overview of Role:
- Sits on the Board of Directors for a period of two years.*
- Elected prior to the autumn board meeting, bi-annually.
- Provides a student voice on the Provincial Board of Directors.
- Attends 3 board meetings annually and fulfills the duties of a Director of the organization along with the other Directors, such as identifying the organizational directions and priorities, formulating policies, voting on motions, receiving committee and staff reports, etc. In her/his capacity as a Director of the corporation, the Student Director represents not only students but also the interests of the profession and organization as a whole.
- Is responsible for facilitating open communication with the Student Members and student representatives of all branches.
- Advises staff and provides input on mechanisms of communication with students (e.g., newsletter, email bulletins, etc.)
- Provides input to staff on the development of services and in the development and distribution of recruitment and retention initiatives related to student membership in tandem with the Board and the Vice-President, Branch Affairs on the Executive Committee.
*Student Members who are in a one-year program or in the last year of their program can apply for the position and provide additional information in their nomination statement.
Learn more about the current Student Director: David Knezevic.
A note from the Chief Executive Officer & Student Director:
Welcome Social Work Students:
The Ontario Association of Social Workers would like to congratulate you on choosing social work as your profession.
A career in social work provides a diverse range of exciting opportunities in which to apply the knowledge and skills you will acquired in your social work program.
We want to highlight a few exciting OASW membership benefits, services and resources:
Publication: Tips and Advice on Conducting a Social Work Job Search - topics include: today's social work job market; how jobs can be located; what employers want; a self-assessment; job search on the Internet, networking; a job search tool kit; the job interview; and much more.
Online job search site: SocialWorkJobs.ca, affiliated with Madgex to provide a comprehensive job-networking tool. The user-friendly website enables Association members to not only search for social work positions but also submit job applications online and post their CVs.
There are many benefits of becoming a member of OASW:
- Stay current and save time with critical information.
- Make your voice heard by joining in collective advocacy to benefit society and social work clients.
- Ensure that decision-makers recognize the contribution of social workers.
- Network and engage with colleagues at the local and provincial levels. And so much more.
Student membership costs $99 per year. Join Now! and benefit from reduced membership fees for the first two years following graduation.
We encourage you to explore our website and learn more about the role of the Association as the voice for social workers in Ontario.
Becoming a member of The Ontario Association of Social Workers strengthens the social work profession and gives social workers and clients a stronger voice.
Ensure that social work has a strong, unified presence. Support social work in Ontario. Join OASW. It's your voice!
If you have any questions, contact us @ firstname.lastname@example.org.
Have a great year!
OASW Student Director
Joan MacKenzie Davies, MSW, Res.Dip.S.W., RSW
Chief Executive Officer