Thank you for your interest in becoming a Local Engagement Ambassador!
This is a great opportunity for you to take on a leadership position within your community to actively build connections with and between social workers. Whether you are a recent graduate, a student, an experienced social worker, or retired, all OASW members are encouraged to apply. OASW will support you every step of the way to ensure you have the tools and resources to succeed.
What you will do:
- Lead and facilitate meetings for members in your Local Engagement Network.
- Promote the Association and the network in your interactions with OASW members, social workers, and other members in your area.
- Collaborate with your network to organize and deliver engaging events and activities.
- Advise OASW on local issues of importance and contribute to OASW-led advocacy efforts.
- Attend regular meetings to connect with other Ambassadors and OASW members.
What you will gain:
- Develop welcoming, inclusive, and equitable spaces for social workers to meet, socialize, and learn.
- Build personal connections with social workers, colleagues, and community partners in your area.
- Expand your professional network of social workers across Ontario.
- Promote the social work profession to others.
- Connect with other Ambassadors to share knowledge, skills and ideas.
- Help inform OASW’s advocacy efforts and participate in advisory groups and governance committees.
- Skills in meeting facilitation, communication, project management, and event planning.
What you will bring:
- Active OASW member in good standing.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills.
- Strong collaboration skills.
- Friendly, energetic, and comfortable engaging with new people from diverse backgrounds and settings.
- Ability to communicate the value of OASW membership and benefits.
How we’ll support you:
- OASW staff will support you to make connections, deliver events, and build community. This includes help with logistical details like registration, finances, and evaluation so that you can focus on the community!
- Facilitated monthly meetings with other Ambassadors across the province to share best practices and build relationships.
- Access to toolkits and resources to assist with your event planning and networking.
What you will commit to:
Working with your Local Engagement Network, Ambassadors will be asked to host 2 to 4 events in their area per year. Each Local Engagement Ambassador leads their network for a one-year term, with an expected minimum time commitment of 40 hours annually.